This weekend, for the third time, I will have the privilege of leading a seminar on marriage. The two times we’ve done this at Howick Baptist Church we’ve held it on a Friday night and all day Saturday.
This isn’t a retreat where the couples come away for an entire weekend, etc. That would certainly be wonderful, however, to help keep costs down and the assist with the care of children we have chosen to do it this way. On the Saturday there are long breaks for lunch and tea which allow the couple to spend time together reflecting on what they are learning.
This is not a seminar for those who are on the brink of marital disaster (though they are welcome). This is a seminar for any who is marriage regardless of the length or even those who want to learn more about the Scripture’s teaching on marriage in preparation for a future marriage.
The material used for this seminar is essentially the same material I use for all pre-marital counselling I conduct with any couple I marry.
- God’s Purpose & Design for Marriage – The Glory of God as a Picture of Christ and the Church (MP3, PDF)
- Husband & Wife Roles – Head & Helper as God Designed – Finding Grace in Divinely Appointed Roles (MP3, PDF)
- Men’s Session 1 – Drawing on God’s Grace to Become a Loving, Learning Leader (MP3, PDF)
- Women’s Session 1 – Becoming a Helper Fit for your husband (MP3, PDF)
- Seeing Our Marriage Through the Grid of the Gospel – Communication & Forgiveness (MP3, Part1; MP3, Part 2; PDF)
- Men’s Session 2 – Drawing on God’s Grace to Cultivate Physical Intimacy (MP3, PDF)
- Women’s Session 2 – Drawing on God’s Grace to Cultivate Physical Intimacy (MP3, PDF)
Harvey, David T. When Sinners Say “I Do”: Discovering the Power of the Gospel for Marriage. Wapwallopen, Pa: Shepherd Press, 2007.
Keller, Timothy J., and Kathy Keller. The Meaning of Marriage: Facing the Complexities of Commitment with the Wisdom of God. New York: Dutton, 2011.
Mahaney, C. J., and Carolyn Mahaney. Sex, Romance, and the Glory of God: What Every Christian Husband Needs to Know. Wheaton, Ill: Crossway Books, 2004.
Piper, John. This Momentary Marriage: A Parable of Permanence. Wheaton, Ill: Crossway Books, 2009. (FREE PDF)
Ricucci, Gary, and Betsy Ricucci. Love That Lasts: When Marriage Meets Grace. Wheaton, Ill: Crossway Books, 2006.
Tripp, Paul David. War of Words: Getting to the Heart of Your Communication Struggles. Phillipsburg, N.J.: P&R Pub, 2000.
Tripp, Paul David. What Did You Expect?: Redeeming the Realities of Marriage. Wheaton, Ill: Crossway Books, 2010.
Vincent, Milton. A Gospel Primer: For Christians. Bemidji, Minn: Focus Publishing], 2008.
9Marks Marriage Book Comparison Chart – http://www.9marks.org/ejournal/9marks-marriage-book-comparison-chart
Video with Paul Tripp: The Bible is Shockingly Honest & Gloriously Hopeful – http://theresurgence.com/2011/11/13/the-bible-is-shockingly-honest-and-gloriously-hopeful
Video with Tim & Kathy Keller – http://youtu.be/Xmc5-TS0H_g